Dear American Players


“I hope he arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul. I plan to face him with the zeal of a challenger.” -- Ichiro, when asked about his lead off appearance today against Daisuke Matsuzaka at Fenway.

Why can't the rest of you barely literate, cliche-ridden baseball lugs speak (and think) like this?

-- Tivo-ing in Seattle

Ps:
Or it could be that Mr. Suzuki has a highly literate, deeply philosophical translator and what he actually said in Japanese was, "I've been waiting seven years to kick his $100 million butt."

Or in Americanese, "I b w8ing 7 yrs bro, BOHICA."

Or for Team 3rd Outs: "esperanza de I él despierta el fuego que es inactivo en las hendiduras íntimas de mi alma. Planeo hacerle frente con el celo de un desafiador." (Per Babelfish.)

[... which, when re-translated (by said Babelfish) back to English is right out of Me Talk Pretty One Day: "hope of I he wakes up the fire that is inactive in the intimate cracks of my soul. Planning to do to him in front with the fervor of a challenger."]

No comments: